Dear Midland Families,
We are very excited to welcome you to the 2023-2024 school year at NEU Midland Elementary!
We have been preparing for a great start to the new school year, and we anticipate an exciting year ahead. We continue our efforts to ensure high quality instruction in a No Excuses University (NEU) culture. College and future readiness is a big presence on our campus throughout all aspects of our school day. College symbolism is evident throughout the school and our “No Excuses” motto allows us to encourage high standards in academics and behavior.
At Midland, we teach our values through the Character Counts! Program and we approach our behavior systems through restorative practices and Positive Behavior Support (PBS). We believe all children will learn with good character through our school-wide expectations of being RESPECTFUL, RESPONSIBLE, and SAFE! We are also excited to be a No Place For Hate school which means we believe our differences make us unique and we learn about positive ways to spread kindness and compassion throughout the year.
Campus security and safety for students and staff is a high priority. We have been working diligently in preparing our campus for your return. In our effort to ensure the highest degree of safety for our students and staff, we are thankful for your cooperation with the following procedures:
- Breakfast and Lunch is served daily and is available at no charge to all students. Breakfast gates open at 7:15 a.m. Please arrive early to finish eating prior to the bell!
- All students in grades 1-5 will be asked to enter campus from the playground gate near the lunch tables. Gates open to the supervised playground at 7:25a.m
- TK and Kinder families will be able to access their classrooms from Gate A (closest to the admin building) If older siblings are assisting with a kinder drop off, they may also enter with their sibling at Gate A.
- Parents are welcome to walk their child to their classroom on the first day only. Parents entering the campus will wait with their child at the teacher’s line area and may walk with the class to the room; however, parents may not enter the classroom.
- All parent volunteers must complete a new volunteer packet for this school year. Volunteers in classrooms will be coordinated by the teacher and all volunteers must be processed by November 3, 2023 to participate in any classroom activities, including field trips.
- Please do not park in the bus turnaround area–we are expecting buses to arrive!
- Please only use the crosswalk to cross our parking lot!
- Please follow all traffic laws and drop off only in the zone marked at the ESS building
- Dismissal will occur at several gates throughout campus:
- Kindergarteners will exit from Gate A. Kindergarten dismissal is a “hand to hand” process, where kindergartners will not be released until an approved adult meets the teacher at the gate. Please be patient as teachers learn which adult matches each child.
- First grade will meet parents at Gate B
- Second through Fifth grade will dismiss from Gate C (large playground gate).
Here are some special dates to keep in mind:
August 10, 2023:
Kindergarten Screening–bring your student between the hours of 9-11am or 12-1pm to campus
August 14, 2023:
Teacher assignments will be emailed to parents.
August 15, 2023:
12-1pm: New Family Orientation will start at 12pm in the MPR. This is an opportunity to meet administration and learn more about Midland in an onboarding presentation to all families new to Midland, including our kindergarteners.
1-2p.m: Midland Teachers and Staff will be available for a Staff Meet & Greet in our amphitheater. Come meet your teacher and mingle with our parent groups to kickoff a great start to the year!
August 16, 2023:
First Day of School! Our first bell rings at 7:40–find your teacher on the playground for school to start promptly at 7:45 (TK and kindergarteners will meet teachers in their classrooms).
August 24, 2023:
Back to School Night–come learn about all the logistics of your child’s year and classroom. This is an event for parents to learn from their child’s teacher.
We appreciate your support with this big endeavor of a safe school opening and we hope this will put your mind at ease to know that your child is in a healthy, safe environment in which to learn.
Thank you for your positive support of our school and we look forward to an amazing school year!